Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Life & Times of Louis & Amber - You just never know

Yesterday I was on my way out to Thabong to pick up a couple people for Meredith's birthday party.  On my way out I was nearly in a collision.  We were driving on a two-lane street, and I was in the right-hand lane.  Since driving is opposite here, that means I was in the inside lane, next to the median.

Some guy had either decided to commit suicide or as drunk out of his mind.  His pants were around his ankles and he was laying on his back in the middle of the left-hand lane, as peaceful as could be.  There was a small crowd of people gathered on the side of the road, but no one was making a move to pull the guy out of traffic.  Of course, since this was about the busiest street in town, I'm not sure I would have been willing to step out into the road myself.  I suspect alcohol was involved, since you don't need your pants at your ankles to lay in front of oncoming traffic.  It is also the end of the month, and since everybody gets paid at the end of the month, this is a great time to see excessive amounts of inebriation.

Anyway, the collision almost occurred when the pickup next to me saw the guy at the last minute and swerved into my lane to miss him.

When I returned on this road a few minutes later the police had arrived and pulled the guy off the road.  He's probably with them now sleeping it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment