Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Life & Times of Louis & Amber - Musings

The other day Meredith pipes up with "If we have another baby, we should name it Noodle-in-my-soup."  Then, nodding satisfactorily, as if she had just invented sliced bread, she says "Yeah, that's a pretty good name for a kid."

That was not an announcement about any upcoming changes to our family.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We just broke ground on the first house.  We spent yesterday and today digging foundations for the first staff house (which will be the Niehoff's house).  The footings need to be about 20 inches deep, and then the whole area needs to be dug down an average of about 10 inches in order to level and put down a good rock base.  Since the house is roughly 1,400 sq. ft. it leaves us with lots of digging to do.

When moving this amount of soil by hand, it gives one lots of time to think.  And it struck me today, that in Kenny Rogers "The Gambler", why would anyone ever take this guy's advice.  If he has to bum a cigarette, whiskey, and borrow a match, he apparently isn't a very successful gambler.  So then is his advice wrong?  I don't need to know when to hold 'em, or when to fold 'em?  I don't need to know when to walk away or when to run?  I should count my money whilst I'm sitting at the table?  Will there or won't there be time enough for counting when the dealing is done?  Help me out on this one, please?

No comments:

Post a Comment