Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Life & Times of Louis & Amber - Keeping the Peace

Drake is proving to be a quick study. Already he recognizes faces, and even knows the proper response to give. For instance, with Amber, she can always get a smile. With me he will curl up into a little ball knowing that he will probably be tickled, poked, or tormented in some such way. I think it is his natural defense mechanism. Of course, I do it in fun. Isn't there a saying though that says something like "what parents do in moderation the child will do in excess"? We are finding this to be true with Meredith. Amber will talk to Drake so sweetly and gently it will quickly prompt a smile. Meredith on the other hand doesn't seem to have the patience. She will lean over Drake and say "Smile (very sweetly)". Immediately following she will say "Smile (somewhat less sweetly)". When those two don't get the desired response, she will get her face closer and say "Smile (similar to when we say Meredith, go to bed now)". Finally, she will have run out of patience - all within the span of about 4 seconds - lean down nose to nose and say "SMILE (with teeth firmly gritted)". This of course never succeeds, and so Meredith proceeds to the tickle method. It typically follows the same quick steps until Drake calls for assistance. You can see from the photos below that he has learned the proper response to quality time with his sister. And you can't tell me that you wouldn't do the same if she was your big sister. I've even zoomed in so you can really see the raw emotion in his face.




1 comment:

  1. Nice! I often imitate Meredith in my Pastoral duties here in the States. I need to show more patience :) Drake looks like a stud...I'll send over a pair of Shaq's as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete