Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Life & Times of Louis & Amber - For the Record...

My brother Sam and sister Rosina are visiting right now until August 15th. In addition, another brother Joe and his wife Angie are also visiting for 10 days on their way back home from China. Not that South Africa is really on the way between the Far East and Des Moines, but considering they were already a whole hemisphere away they figured they would complete the circle.

As a bonus, Sam & Rosina stopped by China for about 3 weeks on their way to the Dark Continent and spent some time with Joe & Angie. Many people think that African food is scary, but I'd encourage you to look into what they serve in China. Even the kids here know that. Last year I was trying to encourage them to eat a large grasshopper we had captured. Even after I offered to pay them 5 Rand they refused. The response was "No way, that is gross. Only kids in China eat bugs." Nothing like mass generalization. Unfortunately, we have photos to prove they're not wrong.

So tonight we were sitting around conversing about the latest goings-on in our lives. Out of the blue Angie says to Rosina "Oh, by the way, there's something I've been wanting to tell you. The first night when you were in China, do you remember those raisins we ate?" Rosina says "yes". Angie continues "Well, I didn't want to tell you then because I wanted you to still eat while you were in China, but while we were eating those I looked at one of my raisins and it was crawling with maggots...but I did check and didn't see any other raisins with maggots on them." (Note of interest...as Rosina and Angie were eating the raisins, Rosina was just telling Angie about some parasite medication a friend had given her for the trip)

For the record, I want everyone to know that if I'm ever eating with you and you notice maggots (or for that matter any other thing considered a non-consumable by most normal western-minded people) either tell me immediately or never tell me at all. Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment