Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Life & Times of Louis & Amber - Epiphany

I had an epiphany moment the other day. I realized that maybe the last 18 months that we've been living at a children's home in Africa is having an effect on our mindset about various things. This came about as a result of something I said. I had just cleaned out a storage room and had a couple boxes full of things that needed to go to the trash. I set them outside our apartment door which happens to open into the activity room here at The Pines. I noticed a couple of the boys searching through these boxes of trash for any items that might pique their curiosity. Now, I've been known to do my share of dumpster-diving. Our favorite pastime at O'Tool family reunions was to go through the garbage at Graham Park in Carroll collecting cans to redeem at Food-4-Less. So I'm not opposed to looking through trash for interesting items. However, considering our experience here, I was a bit surprised to hear myself say to these boys "If you're going to look through the trash, just take it outside first." I guess that helps us know we are indeed adapting to the culture at least somewhat.

No comments:

Post a Comment